Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Inspiration

I woke up the other night with a great giraffe idea in my head (I'm still on the hunt for the perfect frog and giraffe softies). I had the perfect picture in my head. But today I've been thinking, was this great creativity or have I ripped off someone elses design. I have read so many blogs and looked at so many pictures on flickr that my head is spinning. I have been thinking a bit about the difference between copying and inspiration. I want to make things that are unique, but there are only so many ways to do a facial feature or do a leg.
I have found some inspiration in some books I was reading with the girls yesterday.
The Gigantic Turnip - love the cow and the lady.


Russell the Sheep - gorgeous sheep and frog.

In other news:
-Grace has learnt to stand up on her own.
-I'm can't wait for my copy of the Wee Wonderfuls book to get here to make some for the girls.
- I went to Bilby Yarns in Perth - great to find a local supplier of fleece, wool, dye and spinning equipment and back issues of Interweave Knits and Spin Off magazine.

3 comments:

Ali said...

Yeah, that copying vs. inspiration thing is really tough. Like your idea of using illustrations as a stepping off point. It also makes reading the same book a million times, slightly more interesting! I know the Gigantic Turnip well ....

Gina said...

You've certainly been getting a lot done!

Megan said...

Yeah for Grace! And I love those illustrations. I think in the end nothing is new under the sun - as long as it is not a direct rip off, I'd call it inspiration.