Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A bug

I really like to read posts about how people's designs evolved. ( Abby does it really well).
So I am going to try to explain where this little bug came from .
As you can see I am not the best at drawing, but I do keep a sketchbook I try to sketch in it and write down ideas so I can remember them later. I first thought about making a bug last year.
It is still floating around the house somewhere in the girls' toys. That was as far as I got and I moved on to other things. Lately I have been trying to make Australian softies and have been really stuck on making an echidna.

It has become a challenge, which I can't let go. The last few weeks I have been trying to make one using a base and two upper pieces - much simpler, it is still not looking like an echidna though, but it did get me thinking about making a jewel beetle.
I bought some lovely natural linene a while ago on special and have been trying to find the right project for it. I didn't want to use it on some of my other toys as it does fray a bit and I am not so confident using it on tight curves, but it is perfect for a bug shape. I thought about designs or embroidery for the back, but I really liked the spots I put on this skirt. I was not keen on sewing 6 very small legs and turning and stuffing them so different legs. The tails I use for my other animals and my giraffe horns become antennae and here you have it - a bug!

I love how designs evolve to form a new animal and I have a plan to modify this pattern to make a mouse and maybe a crocodile.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

eeeep! that is the cutest bug ever! i love the polka dots, and the construction + design just looks so right on. i may have to borrow your idea (only if you don't mind and i will so give credit to your design!)to make some bitty bugs for my baby bugs. i can't wait to see the echidna (did i spell that correctly?)! hugs from south louisiana, :) cathy

Anonymous said...

He he he - he is soooo cute. LOVE him! I love the drawing/planning process and the feeling of excitement when you have a drawing that you know will work so well! Then the mad dash to the fabric stash to design the pallet - oh so much fun - great bug!

Anonymous said...

That's so gorgeous. Fresh colours too. Love it!
So happy to have found your blog. Cheers

Anonymous said...

Aggghhh! The colours are just beautiful!

Good to know I'm not the only one who struggles with the drawing stage.

Anonymous said...

fantastic post - great to read about the creative process and ofcourse the bug is really cute!

mimi k said...

love the bug!

Anonymous said...

love the beetle. echidna ha?? that would be a challenge. how about using your giraffe antennae as the spikes. It could work.

Anonymous said...

Your bug is perfection! I love how you did the antennae, and it's always a treat to get a peek into someone's process. Wonderful!