Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Blog Action Day

I know I'm a day late to Blog Action Day, but I just finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. I just need to read it again with a notebook and pen. It really was an interesting read with lots to think about and even if you don't think you could completely convert to eating locally there are lots of ideas and smaller things you could do.

The other thing we have been thinking about is how much stuff we have in out house that we just don't need. We have a pretty small house and there is so much stuff in here and just like Nikki we have been thinking about Christmas and overconsumption.

People still get amazed when I tell them I use cloth nappies for twins (I admit that I don't when we are out during the day for a long time). And then more amazed when I tell them I don't use nappi san (I really hate the feel of clothes after using it), I don't soak nappies and even in winter here you can usually get them dried on the line and the sun tends to get rid of any stains nappies don't have to be sparkling white - who sees them? I didn't know anyone using cloth nappies when I started and I got lots of information from here. I also use terri towelling wipes. They really do the job and last a long time - I still have some the original ones after 2 year.

Life has just got easier as our shire has introduced recycling bins which means we don't have to collect all out recycling and then taking it to the depot ourselves.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been eyeing up that book for a while now, I think this just pushed it higher on my wish-list.

nikkishell said...

Thanks for the book recommendation.

Matroskin said...

I love your softies! Supercute! Your babes are cute too. Congrats on the Vogue thingie.

Anonymous said...

cloth nappies are not that hard! i always tried telling people that, but they just don't look at all their options, you know? good for you!

that book is on my list, too - my sister just read it and really liked it.

Chara Michele said...

I have been thinking about reading that book...

Some great thoughts. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there

What a great blog you have! So inspiring. I just bought the softies book. Great buy! Will get into it straight away.
I have started blogging as well. Please have a look when you have the time. Thanks.
www.llallapop.blogspot.com

Keep on making those beautiful things.

Stella

Abby said...

I can't wait to read this book.
what a lovely post.
thank you
luv Abby

dottie angel said...

i used cloth nappies and liked nothing better on a summers day to look out at my garden and see them all hanging on the line...

some good thoughts to think about, thanks...

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to read that book when I get the chance.

I use cloth diapes on my little one too, and did with his big brother. They are so easy to use, and gives me a chacne to have a collection of knitted wool pants for them. LOL