Thursday, October 30, 2008

Old Quilt

The girls and I are back from a great visit with my sister. It is so nice to be able to let them be a bit free with their cousin on the farm
Jane has the first quilt I ever made and one I had completely forgotten about until the girls slept with it last night. I think I made it when I was about 16. So it has done pretty well for all those years considering I had no idea what I was doing and it is made from calico and cheap poly/cottons.

I have been debating what to do with the prices in my Etsy shop due to the dismal state of the Australian Dollar. Last week I dropped the prices and the shipping at Two Little Banshees and today I changed the shipping for my yarn so it is free within Australia.

8 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

I love seeing first quilts! Obviously well made. I'm an Etsy seller and the US dollar and economy is very bad right now. This time last year I was going to the PO to ship orders several times a week. Right now I'm happy to have an order. Good luck.

Michelle said...

love quilts with some history...the design is a lot the same as the one i still haven't finished...

our shabby cottage said...

Mmm, I've been wondering whether or not to do the same - re: Etsy. Although I have only sold one item to an Australian so I'm wondering if I should or not. My market tends to be to the US anyway. Mmm???

Angie said...

Your first quilt was a more complex design than mine (all squares, but now my siblings really like to go over it when they stay as it was made from our old clothes...lots of memories).

I dropped my Etsy prices a couple of weeks ago because most of my customers have been Australian, & I'd had a number of people ask. It does mean no more Etsy fabric shopping for me for a while though! How I wish I'd ordered more when the dollar was up!

Kris said...

Yes, hard to believe that the dollar is so low now compared to a couple of months ago. I wish I had subscribed to more magazines, and bought more fabric too when the going was good. (Don't know what's wrong with my crystal ball. Doesn't seem to be functioning!)

Anonymous said...

Love old quilts. When there is a quilt show in town - I go to it as I love to see the materials

StitchyAddiction said...

I suppose it depends on your sales Kate. If they are mostly within Oz maybe just hook up to an Aussie site, then there's no currency issues.

Jade said...

I'm lamenting the tragic state of our dollar, too. The stash expansion has stopped for a bit.

How about just setting up separate pricing on a bigcartel site with aussie dollar currency, for people that know you from your blog.