Saturday, October 29, 2011
Thursday, October 27, 2011
Excuse the facial expressions, these were taken early this morning. I used a very drapey, almost too drapey jersey fabric which I wasn't going to be too worried about if this was a disaster (I thought I would try this without a muslin). I cut according to my measurements, but by the end I had taken it in a whole size. I cut a new sleeve as I wanted something I can wear all summer and the pattern had a choice of two different long sleeves.
I have read that the Hot Patterns instructions are a little scarce, but I think that is only because there are no illustrations. I read through them and then didn't glance at them again. I think if you have made a stretchy dress the instructions are all pretty much the same.
I also altered the neckline and left off the facings and added a binding like this tutorial, but I did not cut any height off first as I had read it was a little low cut.
I wasn't planning on making the whole thing yesterday, but 15 minutes here and there and it was done. I already have some fabric ready to cut another one.
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
I used this pink and white floral fabric that has been in my stash for a while. I have no idea where is came from. It is kind of Liberty-ish, but definitely doesn't feel it. It is quite stiff and fells a bit like polished cotton. I nearly didn't use it as I thought this dress would be better in a voile, but I don't have that much pink and white in the stash so I hope it softens as it is washed.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Originally I was just going to make blocks and stack them together, but I hadn't pressed any of my seams open and feeling quite lazy this week I didn't want to have to deal with trying to make them match perfectly and the thickness of them so I thought I would add strips between each block and eliminate the problem of sewing a half square triangle seam to another half square triangle seam.
I am hoping to get some time in the next week to write up a mini tutorial on how I made the blocks and put the quilt together.
Monday, October 24, 2011
This quilt is huge, so I quilted it with straight lines, the easiest thing I could think of and I love all the ones I have seen quilted the same way. I agonised for ages over the right colour for the background and finally chose artichoke in Kona cotton and I am very happy with it.
Not the best photos, but it started raining as we started to take them. With this finished I can tick one present off the Christmas list. This is for my sister (and I am not giving away secrets, I have consulted with her as I made it). Now to start on the rest of the Christmas sewing.
Saturday, October 22, 2011
When I bought these fabrics there were a few I loved, some were ok and a few I didn't love at all, but I liked how they all looked together. As I have sew them my mind has definitely changed about a few and now it is hard to pick out favourites.
Although I do love these two a lot at the moment.
If you have ever wondered about pruning your roses with a chainsaw - don't hesitate. Mine are looking better than ever at the moment.
Friday, October 21, 2011
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
This shirt is from Ottobre 2/2005. There has been a post it note stuck on this pattern since the twins could fit into the smallest size and now they need the biggest size I thought I should get round to making it. I didn't put on the ties, I thought a few buttons would be easier. I bought this fabric at Spotlight last year - it is a beautiful weight for shirts.
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
These are the most sensible pictures I managed to take.
Sunday, October 16, 2011
Here it is pre-blocking.
I love the colour, the pattern and the yarn. This is a fantastic, easy pattern. I didn't do the garter stitch section, it is just all stocking stitch. More details on ravelry.
Saturday, October 15, 2011
I have had this book (ISBN 4579111831) for a while and I was seriously thinking this tunic on the front would never work on me. With a few adjustments it is not too bad and made out of voile it will make a cool summer dress. It is still not the perfect fit, but it is not going to get better unless I decide to add a zip to the side, but it is no worse than the schoolhouse tunic.
I really meant to make Colette Crepe Dress last year and never got around to it. I think I have managed to get the top fitting, but it is a little tricky to do by yourself. I have some very soft lightweight denim I found at Spotlight last year to use. I am still not sure whether to do a contrast tie.
Another pattern which has the potential to be really great or a complete disaster is Vogue 1228. I have read many reviews saying the front was low and they were right. It was quite tricky to adjust this. I took it up at the shoulder and it is still not perfect, but I will give it a go. This really is an easy straightforward pattern otherwise.
Thursday, October 13, 2011
I am up to the bottom part of my Damson shawl and wondering if I will need a second skein to finish it.