Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hot Cross Bun Bread

The River Cottage Soda Bread has become a bit of a favorite around here. It is so quick to make, no kneading and you have bread in an hour. I thought I might adapt it to make hot cross bun bread. Chocolate hot cross bun bread actually. Sultana free. I've never understood the love of sultanas. They seem to ruin the best dessert and most breakfast cereals. My kids won't eat them either, which is actually kind of annoying. I think it would make school lunches a lot easier if they did eat them, but I won't start on how frustrating and annoying I find it to make school lunches that they will eat.
Back to Hot Cross Buns. I don't understand the outrage over Hot Cross Buns appearing in the shops after Christmas. I think you should be able to buy the chocolate ones all year round. I've been know to fill the freezer the week before Easter.
So this is what I made today and it was a big hit when the girls got home from school.

Chocolate Hot Cross Bun Soda Bread (based on the River Cottage Soda Bread)
500g flour
2tsp bicarb soda
200ml buttermilk
200ml natural yogurt (I ran out of buttermilk)
1tsp allspice
1/2tsp cinnamon
125g dark chocolate chips.

Mix all the ingredients together until it all comes together. Form into a ball and place on a pizza stone or baking tray (that has been sprinkled with flour). Sprinkle the top with flour and cut a cross into it. Bake at about 200 degrees C for about 45 minutes.

6 comments:

Di said...

Too easy! Will give it a whirl. Thanks xx (and good with the lunch boxes)

Mama Spark said...

Thanks for the recipe! I will have to try this. I don't know how old your kids are but in middle school I finally had my kids make their own lunches. I gave them some $ for the week in case they wanted to buy lunch but they were allowed to keep that if they made their own lunches. So it was totally up to them and they chose what they wanted to eat from what I had available for them at home or they bought.

Thimbleanna said...

It looks yummy! Sultanas aren't really common here in the states. I had a cookie (biscuit?) with Sultanas when I was in Scotland last year and I loved it. So now, I've very curious about them!

miss-perea's said...

Que bueno!!! me encanta el resultado.
Besos
Paqui y Mari Jose
Miss-Perea's

Lisa said...

Yum! My kids love sultanas so I might try it minus the choc chips and with sultanas... yum.

Anonymous said...

I made this today and it was hit. Thank you for the recipe.

Temira x