Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Layer Cake Tutorial #3

Time for another easy Layer Cake Tutorial. I loved the line Katie Jump Rope by Denyse Schmidt and used it for a couple of cot quilts I sold at markets. I rediscovered twenty 10" squares in my recent craft room clean up.
Once again a really easy quilt that hardly needs a tutorial, but if you do this is how I made it.
Cut each square down the middle into two rectangles 5" x 10". Then cut 1/2" from the end of each rectangle so you have 2 rectangles 5" x 9 1/2".
Pair up all the rectangles. I like to make pairs out of contrasting fabric, but it would also look good if you made blocks that were similar, eg two different blue fabrics together.
Sew each pair together along the long edge and press. I pressed them all to the side, but press open of you prefer. Your blocks will measure 9 1/2" square.
Organise into five rows of four blocks, turning every second block as shown. Sew the blocks into rows and press. Sew the rows together and press.
Now you have a finished quilt top! 



5 comments:

Marina said...

I love the way you've arranged the blocks. I think the reason I don't quilt much is because I always get nervous at the point where I have to place everything! Silly, really but true....

Waverlee said...

Finding that Katie Jump Rope...Score!

Christine said...

Such great fabrics! Thanks for sharing.

Suzy said...

I love this one! Simple but very effective.

Anonymous said...

Super easy, love the pattern