Saturday, January 18, 2014

Strip Savvy Scrap Quilts

Over the next few weeks I thought I would share a few things about my book and some of my favourite quilts in it.
I included patterns for a few little scrap quilts. One of them is called Steps and uses lots of bright quilting cotton scraps, but I wanted to make an alternative version of the pattern and use up all my scraps that aren't quilting cotton. Most are cotton/linen blends, but there are other blends too. I wanted to show that you aren't limited to cottons when you quilt. Most of these are from amazing Australian designers who screen print their own fabric.
I used a Kaffe Fasset shot cotton as the background and it blended beautifully with all the slightly different textures in the other fabrics.
This is probably the easiest quilt in the book and great for any beginner. Milly has asked if she can make  little quilt and I think with a little help from me she will be able to make this pattern.

We've just had a few days down south, here was our view one morning. Perfect.


1 comment:

Abby and Stephanie said...

I think it's always nice to include a beginner project in a book. It gets them interested and hopefully hooked on quilting! I love the green you selected to use with the prints. I love using "alternative" fabrics in quilting. :o)